Brittany and I wanted to see the Reef Hawaiian Pro Surf Competition. Tuesday we packed an ice chest, beach bags, camera bags, diaper bag, changes of clothes, and headed off to Haleiwa. We didn't anticipate the President's motorcade to shut-down the freeway we planned on using, but little did we know he had been staying at the new Disney Resort. So, for about 45min we detoured through side-streets and neighborhoods until we finally found an open on-ramp and could continue on our way!
After taking a bit longer than expect we arrived... unfortunately it was a "lay day" which means no waves, no surfing. But, because we had made the drive and packed enough stuff to play all day we hung out on the beach for awhile. I even got little K to let me take him out in he waves which is something he usually only does with his daddy! However, in the process I managed to slice my toe open on the reef. I didn't think it was that bad and played in the sand then walked around on it for 2hrs afterwards while we checked out the local stores and of course hit up the ever so famous Matsomoto's for some delicious shave ice!
Once I got home I actually took the time to examine my toe... the cut was angled, FULL of sand, and kind of pussy. I took a shower then sat down and went to work. When I had to pull the cut open and swipe sand granules out with a q-tip the tears welled up in my eyes and I was really wishing Quinn was there to help me. That wasn't even the end of it... I had to cut a piece of the skin off to get all the sand out and then when I poured the hydrogen peroxide on I couldn't hold back the tears any longer. The picture doesn't do it justice... it is sand and blood free (post cleaning).
Even with the lack of surf competition and the injury it was a fun day out... I have a feeling there will be many more Brittany & Tay adventures in the upcoming months!

1 comment:
The coral sure is pretty but can wreck havoc on the body! Ouch! Its been a long time since Mom and I went to Haleiwa, you were too little to remember. We had our own beach dog there got a picture of you with him.
Love ya, Dad
Post a Comment