Thursday, July 17

Student Life '08 (+growing up)

Okay, I figured I should update this BEFORE I leave for the Women's Retreat Tomorrow... considering I'll probably have something to write about afterwards!

Student Life Camp 2008-

I pretty much think the attack I wrote about happening the Monday prior to camp was because of camp. I didn't know what I was truly getting myself into when leaving on this trip, I worried the kids wouldn't respect me, I wouldn't be a good leader, etc. I ended up becoming more aware of my own spiritual growth, my true desire to be a leader, and a mentor (I am hoping to do a one-on-one with a Junior or Senior high girl this coming fall). I also realized that despite age differences, people can really understand where you're coming from... I loved getting to know the other leaders, and they have told me they appreciated me being there.

One of my favorite lessons from the entire camp was about "growing up," Hebrews 5:11-12 says: "
We have much to say about this, but it is hard to explain because you are slow to learn. In fact, though by this time you ought to be teachers, you need someone to teach you the elementary truths of God's word all over again. You need milk, not solid food!" ...basically, describing people who are shallow in their faith, their God thought, and in the Truth. Simply put: Baby Christians by choice because it is a constant decision to follow the Lord. It needs to be made DAILY, it's not a ONE TIME choice. We must become rooted in Christ (Colossians 2:2-8). David Nasser was an amazing speaker, and Jeremy Riddle an amazing worship leader.

I am so glad I had the opportunity to be a Family Group leader and daily interact with the kids, it was always interesting when I got them to voice their opinions. I was also given the task of running the prayer gathering for our kids... the last day together I had them write a letter about their experiences at camp. Here's the kicker... they addressed the envelope to themselves. Every year kids come home from camp on fire for Christ, but 3wks later it never fails that life kicks back in. Our youth leader will send them out prayerfully from 3wks-3mo from the end date of camp. These are to serve as a reminder of where they were, and where they want to continue being. (I wrote one too!)

---------------------------------------------------

Speaking of growing up, I cannot believe how fast it is happening. Just today I went to a birthday party for some of the Chi Alpha boys (HAPPY BIRTHDAY PAUL, JAMES, and JASON!)... I picked up Krystle and we started talking about our relationships. It seems like everyone I know is... in a serious relationship (like getting ring sizes, haha), engaged, or already married! ...and yes I know that's over-generalizing. However, I absolutely love being able to talk about "grown-up" stuff, and the future, don't get me wrong it still scares me a bit. I ended up talking to Hallie tonight, she and Dustin are taking marriage counseling through Central Christian, that is so cool to me. Starting a relationship off with God, is always the right way to begin!

...5 months until I begin my internship.
...10 months until I graduate ASU with my B.S.
CRAZY!

No comments: