Saturday, October 4

Laughter in the rain.

So this will be my first "on location" blog adventure. I am currently sitting on the patio in my backyard, surprisingly enough with a blanket around me, although I will admit I am wearing a t-shirt and soccer shorts. It's a beautiful October evening, and it is raining. The rain is not why I am writing though, I came out here to let the dogs run out some energy. Amongst their wrestling I was inspired to grab my laptop.

It is always amusing to watch our dogs Thunder and Storm play together. Something as simple as a rope can start out an epic "battle" that involves twists, turns, rolling, growling, barking, tumbles, shows of dominance, and smiles. Yes, I said smiles. My dogs can smile, if you don't believe me come over to visit and Storm will be sure to greet you at the door with his famous "Shark Boy Grin."

Now, why would I blog about my dogs doing something so "normal?" Well... it got me thinking: when we were younger something as simple as a cardboard box could entertain for hours! But now, now we must constantly be upgrading our video gaming systems, making sure our computers are top-of-the-line, and us...play with something as simple as a cardboard box, n-e-v-e-r. Why?

When did we give up on our childhood dreams, aspirations, most importantly...imagination? Who told us that in order to make it in this world we must follow these guidelines, adhere to all directions, and make sure we suck up along the way? Teachers, parents, advisers, counselors, irregardless... we need to look back on our pasts in order to have a better future.

I am a senior majoring in Recreation and Tourism Management, for the past 3yrs they have been beating theories upon theories into my head (yes, we do actually learn, study, and research...). They make a lot of sense. Take Maslow's Heirarchy of Needs for example. When building a pyramid one must start with the base in order to reach the apex. Maslow's highest point includes creativity and spontaneity... highest, as in once you have reached this point you will be living to your fullest. I love this quote taken from Dr. Ginsburg: "Play is essential to development because it contributes to the cognitive, physical, social, and emotional well-being of children and youth. Play also offers an ideal opportunity for parents to engage fully with their children." However I do not believe playing, dreaming, or changing is reserved only for children.

We are not meant to grow up and be stagnant. We are meant to flourish, prosper, and achieve our goals and dreams! In the book I am currently reading (Wide Awake) McManus writes: "But if you're going to create the life of your dreams, you have to once again choose to explore. You need to make it a life mandate to learn everything and anything you need to know to turn your dreams into reality. You have to start making yourself flexible and pliable again, because if you stop learning, you will stop growing and will never create a life beyond the one you have right now" (37). I completely agree.

This is what I want to to with my life. I want to live it to the fullest, glorify the Lord, and make people happy. I want to see people realize who they truly are, what they can actually do, and watch them strive for that dream. Even if just for the few moments I have with them. Give me a job that causes people to smile and laugh. Most importantly, give me a job that makes dreams become reality!

1 comment:

Spider Mattheson said...

Irregardless? You're starting to sound like Helsel. ;-)

Anyway, you can speak for yourself because I never gave up my childhood dreams. My dreams were modified as my tastes changed and matured but I've always want to do something in professional writing and I haven't given up on that.

It's not unnatural that as people grow and learn more it takes more to stimulate their minds. As kids, cardboard boxes were the shit because there were so many places in our imagination that had not yet been explored and cardboard boxes were part of that. Think of all the things a cardboard box can become! Then we did think of those things and soon wanted to move on to other more advanced things that would better stimulate our minds and imaginations and allow us to grow.

Personally, I'm happy I've moved on from cardboard boxes and am now applying myself to more complex things that will better assist me in the future. And I love upgrading computers. Don't you be talkin' crap 'bout my computer!