Saturday, March 7

Friends and Fire Alarms

I have tan-lines! (even a little pink in areas- I should bring sunscreen if I go longer). No, I'm not making it up... I had the opportunity to go to the beach today for a couple hours, it was almost 60* and S-U-N-N-Y!!! =)

In other news: "My Coasties" graduated this past Thursday. At their morning graduation I gave them each a card, two printed pictures, a cd with the pictures I took of our time together, and finally a mini-booklet about faith. I honestly did not expect to get anything in return, I almost didn't think I would see them again after that. However, that evening I got a text from Tony asking if I was going to the Consolidated Club for Karaoke Night. I went down and met up with Ivan, Travis and his wife (Alexis), and Tony. Ivan handed me this nicely wrapped gift complete with card! It ended up being two Vans shirts. After they closed the club we all went up the hill behind my barracks to the water tower. I'm sure we could have gotten into trouble for climbing it, but all of us laying on top looking at the stars and talking about life would have been worth it.

Friday morning their whole class [IT-0309] was gone, except for Tony. Which ended up being very good for me! My computer has been (and still is) having issues with the internet here... I've come to the conclusion it is the base internet provider, but here's the story anyway: I had the day off because I am working the Nor*Cal Basketball tournament this weekend. I called Jason to ask if he could come look at my computer, and see what was wrong. He and Connie showed up, and he messed with my computer, only to tell me that I had a bock/root/zombie virus that was connecting with other sources and blocking me out of the internet. Ok? I asked him what I should do and he said buy a virus program with a root detector. Great. Tony called and asked if we could hang out on his last day, and knowing he's an IT, I asked if he had any virus programs... cha-ching! He did, and now I am "armed" with Avast.

So after that whole fiasco, we headed into town since we both missed lunch. We did the Petaluma downtown river walk, acted like two little kids in the gigantic candy store, played in the toy store, and found a store called "Mighty Quinn" ...obviously a picture was necessary. Unfortunately I wouldn't recommend going in, we saw the sign on the door "18yrs+ Only" looked at each other and were like... "um, how about no." We also toured the local glass factory- LOVE IT! If I can fit it into my schedule, I want to take a fusing class, it looks so neat =D They also sell mosaic glass $5/lb not that I'm going to buy any, just thought it was cool to find a place like that.

We came back to base and he pulled out a bag: he gave me a set of sea salt scrub/lotion, suppose to be some awesome stuff. And then plugged in his computer and told me he needed to render a DVD for me. So, while that rendered we went to the movies. Evidently "Paul Blart: Mall Cop" was a very popular movie on base, I ended up getting stuck next to these little girls each with large sodas which were empty probably 1/4 into the movie which then had them getting up for the bathroom every 15min, haha. It's ok, a free movie is a free movie, all 150 seats were full! After the movie, Tony had me watch the DVD he'd just made, it was so cool! All of the pictures (his, mine, and Ivan's) all combined into a huge slideshow accompanied with music. There are even videos, it was great.

I'm going to miss those boys, but I've definitely learned a lot from knowing them. You can never be afraid to be yourself, people will either like you or not, but those that do are genuine. I am also being really open in my faith all of them know I am Christian, and that Jesus Christ plays a huge role in my life. One of the guys (Andrew) that never hung out with us except at the galley, knows a lot more. We had a 2.5hr hour conversation Sunday night discussing faith, and life. I even prayed for him out loud, it was a very interesting experience. I will never forget him, and he's already e-mailed me from his new duty station telling me he got checked in. Life happens quickly, people come and go, but you never know what kind of things you'll take away from an encounter, so I'm doing my best to make them all positive!

I'm finally in my room relaxing: my laundry is done, and my room is nice and clean. I hope the fire alarm doesn't go off again. It has twice tonight, the firemen are really nice though. One is originally from Glendale and we ended up talking about my dad and what station he's at. Evidently the alarm in the downstairs Women's Head (bathroom) is faulty, they were repairing it when they let me come back inside. It's cold outside, I don't wanna run out there again!

PS- I'm a Zonie... how does daylights savings time work?! Do I change at midnight tonight, or tomorrow? Yikes... Google maybe? Or automatic time zone detection on my cell phone? Haha, talk about being oblivious for 22yrs.

No comments: