Saturday, May 26

Makapu'u Blow-hole & Tidepools

Earlier today a group of us set out on a grand adventure... well it was just an adventure until we had some major waves hit us... but I'll get to that... 
We did the Makapu'u Lighthouse hike, all the way to the top. Then we branched off near the whale look-out diagram and hiked down, down, down... until we reached the blow-hole and tide pools. The waves were huge and we later learned there had been a small craft advisory for the area (aka- rogue waves). When I ventured out into the deeper tidepool we got hit by three waves in a row... the first two I held my breath under water and clung to a rock, when I came up for air  after the 2nd it looked like one of the girls was getting beat up pretty bad so I tried to time it right to swim thru the channel with the next wave, I was a little off and hit my elbow on the rocks. She got really scratched up but it ended up being more cosmetic than damage. I , however, bruised my bone.
After we made the epic hike back up we were starving, and what better a way to end a great day with friends than chow down at Teddy's Bigger Burgers?!

A glimpse at the blow-hole:


1 comment:

Dad said...

Glad all turned out well and no serious injuries. I think we all have great respect for the power of Gods ocean!