Saturday, June 30

Downtown Tourists



Today we played tourists in Honolulu, neither of us had actually been to the Kamehameha Statue so we wanted to go there for some photos. Tami (my island mom) had recommended the Iolani Palace so we headed down there. We missed the guided tours but we opted for the audio tour, we even got in for free thanks to the Blue Star Museum Program!


The tour was very informative, it was really interesting to know that the Palace had electricity and telephones before Buckingham Palace in England and the White House in DC! The decor threw me off because it was very Victorian, not what I was expecting at all after living in Hawaii. There is so much history, good and bad, contained in those walls. I wish we had been allowed to take photos, it was breathtakingly beautiful, we loved the personal towers the corner bedrooms had. The bathrooms were very unique as well, with hot and cold running water! They even had the crowned jewels on display in the basement.


After we finished our tour we walked across the courtyard to the State Capitol Building. It is completely surrounded by reflection pools and the middle is an open courtyard featuring a beautiful tile mosaic piece. The House and Senate meet in what look like huge auditoriums with a chandelier in the middle of the room.


We ended the day driving home, accompanied by rainbows.

1 comment:

Dad said...

Next time I think mom and I need to check that out.