Sunday, May 16

Renting...

The Good
  • When things go wrong, we don't have to shell out the money to fix them
  • We don't have to do the landscaping
  • Direct Deposit (w never see the rent money-we don't have to be sad about not having it)
  • Right now we actually save some money from the BAH
  • No pet fees for the guinea pigs
The Bad
  • Only one #'d parking spot (and none are covered)
  • Shared walls, our neighbors aren't too loud though
  • Rules about what can/cannot be on your patio and yard area
  • When things go wrong- they fix them...
So... now the story:
Friday evening we invited Nate and Erin over for dinner, I went to open the fridge to start preparing the salad and I found myself standing in a huge puddle of water! I turned on all the lights in/near the kitchen to figure out what the heck was leaking. Well, eventually I called Quinn to come down and help. Our refrigerator ended up in the middle of the kitchen blocking the sink/dishwasher/cabinets and the washer and dryer got pulled out blocking the entrance. He originally thought the washing machines pipes were leaking but soon discovered it was actually pipes further up in the wall (oh great!).

Right about then the timer beeped and I fought my way to the oven and pulled out the homemade pizza and not 2sec later our friends knocked on the door and I fought my way out of the kitchen... we called the emergency maintenance line and a guy showed up halfway through dinner. Awesome night to have dinner guests-no? His solution- placing a drip pan under the leak and saying he and another guy would be there Monday to fix the pipes in the walls. However it would be a major construction so we need to clear out the kitchen area.

Oh and to top it off... the A/C will run, but no air comes out of the vents! Gahhhhhhhh! This has been an ongoing issue. During the winter we called multiple times saying our heater would run and run but it felt like nothing was coming out of the vents and the temperature was never changing. They came and re-wired the thermostat. I called again, they came and replaced the thermostat. If they mention the thermostat when they come tomorrow, I might go insane... obviously it is the UNIT not the THERMOSTAT.

I will say... I cannot imagine having to pay for these things right now, we don't have those funds. A plumber, an air conditioning specialist and/or a duct vent cleaner. Talk about expensive! Renting is good for us right now, even if it is a pain at times. Plus, we don't want to own a house here anyway, we want to live somewhere we both want, so no house purchases in our near future.

1 comment:

vida said...

i'm sorry to hear about your stuff breaking down. we own and just had to replace our entire hvac system for $5300!! so it's much better to rent :)