Saturday, June 18

Hawaii's 50th State Fair

Last Sunday Quinn and I attended the 50th Annual Hawaii State Fair. I always forget how expensive these things are, which is probably why I only went as a child in Arizona and we decided to skip out on the one in Maryland. Here’s what I mean: $5 to park, $5 each for entry, $1-2 per midway game, $1 per ticket for rides, and $5-10 each for food (Oh, if you haven’t had a deep fried oreo- you are missing out! I think it was $4 for 5 oreos but seriously they were like heaven in my mouth).


We went for “the experience,” we watched the Hedrick Productions' ostrich and camel races which were pretty cool… the track was super short though so they were done too quickly to be truly enjoyable. The announcer asked everyone to stand for the national anthem, and it saddened me that it literally took until the 2nd line of the song for everyone to join the military members in the crowd.

Pets Overboard (a pirate pet show) was cute- definitely aimed at the youngsters, it was awesome to learn that every animal in the show (rats, cats, dogs) were adopted from the humane society though! Our favorites were the yellow lab who played the first mate and the piRATS who "invaded the ship."


The European Circus made the $5 entrance fee worth it! It makes me laugh that the families were from Chile, Bolivia, and Venezuela so I'm not really sure how it was "European." However, they were amazing: unicycle tricks, tight-rope walking, big swing launches, a small clown act, body contortion, juggling, and of course getting the crowd involved.


We played a couple midway games, Quinn managed to win a 10in stuffed banana- honestly what am I going to do with that? We wanted the giant banana with a monkey inside but you had to trade 9 bananas to get it, aka- win at least 9 times!

No rides for us, the only one I would have even thought about going on was the ferris wheel, all the rest looked like a puke-fest waiting to happen!

We bought a Mac (I know, I know... traitor! My PC laptop reminds me of that fact all the time!) and I've been trying some new photo editing on it, been pretty fun. I liked making the fair photos look vintage.

3 comments:

April @ An Urban Acre said...

yay for macs!! =) Looks like fun!

Taylor @ DearOlympia.com said...

That looks so awesome! I'm kind of obsessed with vintage carousels!

Dad said...

The destruction derby was always your favorite part of the Arizona State Fair, you wanted me to drive my truck in it! Hey, you were five.

Love, Dad