Saturday, March 10

Hail, in Hawaii?

I didn't post this yesterday because I wanted to be able to get all the news stories linked up for you... this was one rocking storm!


{Friday}
At 3am I woke up to pounding rain and howling wind... so I rushed around the house closing my windows... once I laid back down the rain lulled me quickly back to sleep. 5am rolls around and all I remember is thinking someone was shooting a strobe light through my bedroom window, curtains or not, my room was flashing every 1-4 seconds. Weirdest lightning I'd ever seen, but I rolled over and shut my eyes trying to go back to sleep before I had to get up for work. Not 10min later did I hear tink-tink-tink TINK-TINK-TINK TINK-TINK-TINK! If my sleepy state my initial thought was the 30-60mph wind was ripping my solar panel off the roof. I tried to look out my bedroom window but it was essentially a waterfall, so I wandered downstairs only to find HAIL! I ended up getting pieces as big as large marbles or kumquats, friends not 1/2mi away ended up getting golf ball size. So I ran back upstairs for my camera and ended up getting soaked in my PJs for some pictures.

Top Left- the storm literally swirled over base for about 2.5hrs!
Bottom Left- The white on the ground is hail.
Top Right-
The backyard area ended up completely flooded (this is halfway thru the storm)
Bottom Right- HAIL! I didn't get the biggest pieces because these ones hurt hitting my head...

 I also took a couple videos:



I ended up not being able to go to work until 11am, two hours later than normal, because the base ended up needing to close down due to extreme flooding near the gates and in the neighborhoods! It was nice though, since I had been woken up so early I took a nap until I got word that I could leave base. Later that night I found out there had been a waterspout-tornado just down the road at Lanikai Beach then into Enchanted Lakes. So flooding, hail, waterspouts, tornado, and waterfalls! What a crazy day.


Here are some news links:

1 comment:

Dad said...

Girl! I think extreme weather follows you, crazy!

Love you, Dad