Tuesday, May 27

10 Days with Family

Mom and dad came for a visit... and man were we busy!

I have a problem thinking that "we didn't do enough," "they didn't get too see enough of the island," "we forgot to ____ & ____." Luckily, my husband knows I do this so he keeps an itinerary of the things we HAVE done, so inevitably after our guests have left and I start playing the "we didn't" game... he pulls it up and shows me all of the wonderful adventures we had.

This post won't cover every adventure, because that would just be FAR too many photos... but we had plenty of fun at the beach and spent the evenings relaxing and playing board games.

To celebrate 16wks (four months?!) of pregnancy, we hiked 5.5mi to view beautiful Ka'ena Point, the westernmost point on the island of Oahu. Of course we had to finish that adventure with some yummy pie from Ted's Bakery!

We hiked up to Makapu'u Lighthouse since mom had never gone, then later that night we treated them to a sunset dinner at Top of Waikiki as a belated anniversary gift.

We toured the Macadamia Nut Farm and Chief Tama was a riot! I think we laughed enough that day to skip any core workouts...

Quinn had only been to one luau and my parent's hadn't been to one since I was oh... 6mo old... so we chose Chief's Luau, which was excellent! It is actually done by the same family that owns and operates the tours at the Macadamia Nut Farm, so once again it was hilarious, but a very nice representation of island life and culture. Mom and I got tattoos (airbrush, no need to panic everyone), the boy's started fire with hibiscus wood, we all learned how to weave banana leaf headbands, and man was the food delicious!

 Our last adventure consisted of a sunset dinner cruise. Sadly, due to pregnancy enhancing my seasickness... I didn't get to eat very much. However, I will say that the tastes of mahi, garlic mashed potatoes, and coconut cake I did have were yummy! It was really fun to be out on the water for sunset, plus our boat (Navatek) is the only one rated to go out past Diamondhead, so we got some unique views. We also saw flying fish, which I had never seen before! Since we chose a Friday night cruise we were treated to fireworks at the end.

I still can't believe it had been a full year since we had seen my parents. I hope that we don't have such a long gap again in the future, it's always nice to be around family especially when you live so far away.

1 comment:

Dad said...

Thanks for an incredible time on our visit. We truly saw plenty, enjoyed entertainment, great food and had a fantastic time with the three of you, I like saying that. Thanks again, my kids rock!!