Originally written: 11.11.08
So I am writing this in-route to Phoenix, partly because I am bored and have been asleep for at least 2hrs already and secondly because it will help me focus on the memories from the trip rather than the empty pain I feel and the desire to cry. (This was copied/pasted from word obviously…)
My flight to BWI left at 5:05pm on Wednesday the 5th there were seriously only 50 people on my flight! It was crazy, the flight attendants kept giving us snacks and drinks, I think they got bored. I arrived around 11:15pm, Quinn surprised me and was waiting in the baggage claim area! He’s so sweet, once we collected my suitcase we headed out. We went to a 24hr grocery store because I had promised the guys I would make them cookies for the week while they were all at work on Thursday. After our shopping adventure we got to the apartment a little after midnight where I met John (one of his roommates) and his girlfriend Lauren. His other roommate Max was already asleep; I met him in the morning.
Thursday came quickly, short night of sleep… I woke up when the guys did, so about 6:15am. I spent the majority of the morning baking cookies (Funfetti & Strawberry Chocolate Chunk) and working on homework that I would be missing from class that evening. Quinn got to come home for lunch, so we made turkey/ham & cheese sandwiches, it was kind of fun to see him in uniform, it wasn’t very fun when he had to go back to work though. That evening we went on Ft. Meade to Gaffrey Recreation Center so the boys could practice for the ball ceremony; afterwards we grabbed a quick dinner from Subway before his company’s flag football game. I got to sit by Kyle’s wife, she’s really nice but terribly quiet I felt like I had to keep the conversation going the whole time. The boys lost the game, which sucked because it was the playoffs so now they are out of the tournament.
Friday I slept in until 9am because the boys did the Marine Corps Birthday Run at 5:45am, when I got my breakfast Max was back (he had the day off work) so we talked for awhile and I did more homework. Quinn got off early, but he was in kind of a bad mood, I wished I could have ask him about what but… I have already got used to the fact that I can’t know about job related things. We headed down to the BWI Marriot at 2:30pm so the boys could do their final practice then dress rehearsal. I took the time to paint my nails and get ready. 30min before the ceremony was going to start, Quinn escorted me to the Ball, it was amazing so many Marines in their dress blues and women wearing beautiful dresses to accompany them. I was at a table with Kyle, his wife, Jeremy, Eric and his girlfriend Leah, and another couple I didn’t know. Unfortunately our table was furthest from the dance floor… which meant that I couldn’t really see Quinn during the ceremony …good thing I went to practice. Dinner was served and typical Taylor… got steak all over her beautiful dress. I was crying in the bathroom when this lady came in and started to tell me it was going to be all right, and that she’d be right back. She came back with a bottle of club soda and proceeded to blot the stain out of my dress, then decided that we should just wet the front to make it look dual-toned until it dried. It worked pretty well! I was in a sad/irritated mood after that though, but Quinn made it better, like he always does. We got our official ball pictures done (with the non-steak side of my dress facing the camera: which worked out well because you can see his medals too!), then we had fun dancing with his friends. It was an amazing night.
Saturday we were completely wiped out, none of us woke up until at least 11am. He took me out to lunch at Panera, which is like Beyond Bread in Tucson, really awesome sandwich/bakery. Then we were pretty much lazy and hung around the apartment until around 5:30pm. Quinn and I headed to NSA to get me visitors pass so we could pick up Aaron, Jeremy, and meet up with Eric and Leah. The boys were stinkin’ cute, they all wore striped shirts, jeans, and flip-flops, haha. The six of us went out to dinner at Chevy’s, then to the movies, we saw “Role Models,” which yes, was funny, but the majority of the movie was just sad… the moral values of America are gone.
Sunday morning Quinn and I woke up for church, Kyle and his wife attend the same one (and evidently so do Nathan and Erin). It was a lot different than at home, the worship time is strictly piano/organ and hymnals. It’s very quiet, a lot smaller than our church too. The message was great though, the pastor went over John 1: 1-5. After church we went back the apartment and took a nap then made some lunch. Quinn called around to see what people were doing and we ended up going over to Nathan and Erin’s apartment to watch a movie, eat pizza, and play apples to apples. They are like my favorite couple I got to meet! Erin has a lot of the same ideals as me, she agrees with me on the smoking/dipping/drinking thing, and they are Christian.
Monday was our day in Baltimore; we made a quick stop at a local bagel shop then headed out. In Baltimore we walked around the Harbor, toured the Coast Guard Cutter Taney and the Navy Submarine Torsk, and went to the National Aquarium. Quinn is in love with dolphins so we paid to see the show as well, they are so cute! The aquarium is huge, and the layout is amazing. The very top is a greenhouse that is utilized as the rainforest area, there are tropical birds, turtles, snakes, and spiders in there. We also had the opportunity to see the sea turtle and rays being fed, it was an enjoyable time. We also walked through ESPN Zone, and around the town taking scenic picture of all the leaves changing colors. After grabbing a soft pretzel to share, we watched the sunset over the harbor then headed back home. Once we got home we got dressed semi-nice, and he took me out to The Cheesecake Factory! He’s such a sweetheart! That night was so cold, the thermometer in his car said 39* on our drive back.
This morning we woke up early so we could drive down to Annapolis to meet Adam. Once we arrived we picked him up by the Chapel, and headed down to Main St. off the Yard so he could get away for a little while. We ended up at this little family owned “truck-stop” style café. The food was amazing! I had a Belgium waffle with apple/cinnamon topping, Quinn had the egg platter, and Adam enjoyed a steak omelet. I paid, the first thing I was allowed to pay for the entire trip… it was cool though because everyone had been thanking Adam for his service (being Veterans day and all) and the day before everyone had been thanking Quinn for his service (Marine Corps Birthday) so I told the cashier that it was my way of thanking them when he asked how come “such a pretty girl with two strapping young men accompanying her was paying.” Adam then took us on a tour of the Yard, the buildings and scenery were simply amazing. We took a couple of pictures although, I am sad that it was so few, and there were none of Quinn… my bad. I made sure I delivered the pictures and Emergen-C from Alexis, and in the gift shop he bought her a present (the mascot of their school …Bill the goat!) We said goodbye, and then it was time to head back to Columbia, MD so I could pack and get ready to leave. The airport was rough, I cried and didn't want to let go of him... once I decided to go I did my best not to look back so I would cry even more.
I have come to the conclusion that six days is not enough time to spend with the person you love. He and I had multiple conversations about how serious were are about each other, and what we thought should happen next. I’ve got 1mo left of school, and then after that 5mo until I am done will college, we’ll see what changes happen between now and then.
And now… 2,300mi and too many tears later, the pilot has just announced we will begin our final descent into Phoenix.

[Maryland Trip Nov. '08] [Maryland Trip Nov. '08 pt. II]
No comments:
Post a Comment