Although it's not the ideal dating situation, I wouldn't change it. Quinn and I met the second weekend of April in 2007. Both of us were attracted to each other, but hesitant for multiple reasons. I guess we should have known something was up when we had a 7hr AIM/Phone conversation throughout the day after he left. Last year we didn't see each other very often either, 11 days total: April 14th-15th & 21st-22nd, May 4th-5th and 11th-13th, July 7th and 27th (and no I'm not crazy, I have these dates because my pictures are sorted by date...) again, driving time has to be added since they were stationed 3hrs away.
Most people ask me: "Taylor how do you deal with that?!" My answer generally sounds something like "honestly, I just do... I don't have a special formula, I didn't ask for it to be this way, but I can't change it, so I deal with what has been given to me." Prayer, faith and trust are essential as well! Our phone bill would be HUGE if we weren't both with AT&T (just ask my mom, I think in one month we racked up like 30hrs). We both have webcams, so that helps us out. In all honesty though, I loved getting to know Quinn through his phone calls, e-mails, and random handwritten notes/letters. It made it more personal, and it wasn't the typical oh man, does he/she like me, acting awkward around each other type of deal. We were both just ourselves because we had no reason or opportunity to be different.
In no way am I saying our situation is easy or ideal. It's difficult, frustrating, and downright annoying at times. I would love to be near him, but at this point in my life it just isn't an option. Someday though, and then that will take getting used to as well seeing as for the entire year and 7 months that we've known each other we have only physically been around each other for 1 month! Crazy to think about.
Yesterday my parents took the family out to dinner, and amongst the conversations my dad said: "I think Taylor has found the man she wants to marry." It caught me off guard, not because it isn't true, rather that other people can tell. I do take it as a good sign, especially coming from those the closest to me. Plus, the man that I do end up marrying must respect my parents and in return earn their respect.
Everyday I seem to miss Quinn a little bit more, and I learn yet again how to deal with the distance. Memories, pictures, my family, and friends help. It is also super sweet when he can wake me up in the morning with his "good morning beautiful" phone calls... even if they only last 30sec at times.
We are both praying and asking God for direction within our relationship. It has been fun reading the book of Proverbs with him and discussing our thoughts on each chapter. Our silly conversations are always mixed with serious talks, and we try to say goodnight to each other no matter what time it is that we get to call.
I think this quote sums up our relationship:
"Somewhere between all of our long talks, stupid little fights, and the ridiculous inside jokes... I fell in love."


No comments:
Post a Comment