I've finally found some downtime, I figured I should update everyone on my life as I wait for my video for class to finish rendering. This weekend has been, well... long. Let me start at the beginning:
Friday morning I woke up extremely sick, I hadn't been feeling well since about the 12th, so my mom decided I needed to go to the doctor. I had no voice, a horrible cough, endless runny nose, pressure in my ears, and was completely wiped out despite going to bed at 9pm the night before and getting almost 12hrs of sleep. She called as soon as they opened and they squeezed me in. I basically woke up, brushed my teeth, and left the house. The doctor probably only saw me for a grand total of 4min... everyone and their dog must be sick, that was the busiest I've ever seen a doctor's office! At any rate, I was prescribed a z-pack (antibiotics), vicks vapor rub, and menthol cough drops.
While I was at the doctor's I missed a call from the Coast Guard MWR director, not that I had a voice to answer him anyway. I went home and took a two hour nap before eating soup and doing everything I could to get my voice back. I called him around 12:30pm, or 2:30pm his time. I recieved some great news: I had recieved an internship in Petaluma, CA! We went over multiple details, the entire 30min conversation felt like a lifetime because I was doing everything in my power not to cough while retaining my voice. He told me the supervisor from Petaluma would be calling me later that afternoon, as excited as I was for the internship, the thought of getting through another interview was daunting. Two hours later that call came, I managed well and learned a lot about what is to come.
I will be starting my internship at TRACEN Petaluma the last weekend of January and my last day there will be May 8th. I am going to be heading up their special event with the Harlem Ambassadors, and most likely club events such as billiards/darts tournaments and karaoke nights. I should also have the opportunity to help out with ski trips and other outdoor recreation activities. While there I will have an ID card that I have to carry at all times, a sticker on my car to be allowed on base, and I will live on the women's floor of the barracks. I supposedly get my own room, complete with TV, internet, mini-fridge, and microwave. I have to share the laundry room and bathroom with the seven other women on my floor (I wonder what kind of bathroom this is?). I am suppose to get breakfast, lunch, and dinner for free as well in the galley... I better write down what time it's open! So my Christmas list basically consists of things I will be needing, such as: laundry basket/bag, detergent, dryer sheets, bathroom caddy, towels, hand soap, work clothes, snack food, gas $, paper towels, paper plates/bowls, plastic utensils, etc etc. Haha!
Unfortunately for me my day ended up getting worse. The intense pressure in my ears caused my right ear to start a high-pitched ringing (which has yet to stop...ugh). Have you ever heard the high pitched buzzing/ringing noise given off by spotlights? If you have that's what I've been hearing inside my head since Friday night. My dad has tinnitus, the permanent condition of ringing in your ears... I sure hope I don't have it, it's really annoying! I looked it up, and ear infections and some medications can cause ringing, so I am hoping it is one of those. I slept 14hrs Friday night-Saturday morning and 12hrs the next night. Saturday and Sunday were spent being sick and working on my 8 page paper for my cultural heritage tourism class. BORING! I did get to talk to Quinn a couple of times per day, he was really nice to me even though I was in a perpetually grumpy mood.
I didn't go to work this morning, I figured getting everyone there sick would not be a good idea. I am working on group project #1 of the week. We have a meeting tomorrow evening, I sure hope we get everything done. Group project #2 I need to have e-mailed in by Wednesday evening, and then research paper #2 is due this coming Monday. School is taking over my life!!! Almost done Taylor, you're almost done.
I really hope I get my hearing back soon, that would be extremely nice. I'd also like to shake this cough and runny nose... Thanksgiving is in three days, it should be fun, my family is celebrating at the firestation! I am also looking forward to seeing Ashley this weekend, it's been too long since last time.
No comments:
Post a Comment