You hear it every year around this time... "What are you thankful for?" And every year you hear the same typical answers... so I'm going to attempt to be different. - I am so thankful for everything God has blessed me with, I know I would be nowhere and nothing without him.
- I am thankful for the lessons of determination learned by my dad. Witnessing first hand that if you set your mind to something it can not only happen, but affect others positively no matter how bad the situation you are in seems at the moment. Knowing that with faith and prayer all things truly are possible. And probably some of the best advice my dad has ever given me: "Be smart, make good choices, keep the faith, and never be ashamed to stand up for what you believe in!"
- I am thankful for the quiet strength my mom has taught me. No matter what our family has gone through she's been a unshakable force, even if she didn't feel that way. No matter the situation, I can go to her for advice or help at any moment. I can't count the tears she's wiped away or the problems she's helped me solve. The lessons of hosting and listening are definitely better learned first hand, and I couldn't have asked for a better model.
- I am thankful for the type of love that is only possible between sisters. Alexis may be three years younger, but no matter what she's there for me. We do have a lot in common, but sometimes I feel as though we are polar-opposites, and that's okay. It helps both of us to see different views and expand our interests.
- I am thankful for true community. God has taught us that we are not meant to be alone in this life, we are to have people to lean on and grow with. I am extremely happy that I was able to find this at ASU of all places. I cannot imagine my college experience without my Chi Alpha family. I have grown immensely in the past 3.5yrs... spiritually, emotionally, and with my self-esteem.
- I am thankful for friends who care no matter how far away they/you are. Ashley and I have gone through so much in our past 7yrs of friendship that it feels like it has been much longer. Through the pain, tears, boys, and drama, to the accomplishments, celebrations, traveling experiences, and love. She has and continues to be the true definition of a friend.
- I am thankful for extended family. Even though I don't see/hear from them often my grandparents, aunt, and cousins mean the world to me. The times we do get to spend together are cherished, and won't be forgotten.
- I am thankful for adopted family. Phil you have become the brother I never had, the Higgins' have become my local grandparents, and I cannot begin to count the "brothers/sisters/aunts/uncles/moms/dads/grandmas/grandpas" I have through church, family friends, and the fire department!
- I am thankful for freedom. Even though this country is going through changes I don't agree with (ie: taking God out of everything, prayer out of schools, endorsing abortion/same-sex marriage) I am so happy I can worship the Lord without fear of being killed for my beliefs. For not having to wear an abbaya and be accompanied by a male in order to be seen in public. The opportunity to chase your dreams, and see them flourish. FOR THE TROOPS HERE AND ACROSS THE GLOBE FIGHTING TO KEEP OUR COUNTRY THIS WAY.
- I am thankful for surprises and spontaneous situations. It never ceases to amaze me that once you decide to give up on something, the amazing way God tells you that your choice was incorrect and not in line with his plan. Quinn, I am so glad we met... and for the time we've had to get to know each other, and fall in love.
- I am thankful for the quiet moments. Watching the sunrise over the mountains at Lake Powell, looking at the stars while bundled in a sleeping bag atop a 250ft waterfall in the bottom of Havasupai Canyon, holding hands and watching the leaves fall of the trees, wrapping up in a blanket and reading a good book, laying in the sun hearing the waves crash on the beach, sleeping on the dock at Lake Havasu, it doesn't matter where... but being able to experience God's beauty.
- I am thankful for good music and art. Sometimes life is better with a soundtrack and a blank canvas, you never know what will happen! Songs can inspire, express how you feel, and change your mood. Art can be anything, it only matters what you see in it.
- I am thankful for the little things. You never know what an encouraging word, a seemingly simple note, or a small gift can do for someone. It just might change their world.
I dare you to click that little comment button below! ;-p
1 comment:
I know I won't be nearly as thorough as you were, but what isn't there to be thankful for? Everyday things are taken for granted and we can't help but let it slip here and there, some people more so than others, but we all do it.
I'm thankful for...
...every trial I've been through, because it has helped mold and shape me into the person I am.
...the talent in which I've been given in regards to baseball, playing in college is the first step to achieving my dreams.
...parents that are by no means the role model parents, but they try and through their faults, they still manage to keep a roof over our heads, and provide for us.
...my friends in the military that keep us all safe at night by putting their lives on the line, firefighters and the police.
No, this isn't everything, but it will suffice for this reply.
Post a Comment