Wednesday, May 11

House Anxiety

I'm starting to get anxious... or maybe I have been for a couple weeks now. When we first arrived I slept great! 10:30pm-7am, it was amazing... now I'm struggling to will myself to sleep by 2am and don't normally wake-up until 9:30am. I don't have a job, so technically it doesn't matter... but Quinn goes to sleep around 9 or 10 so I have the internet (house/job searching), my book, and my thoughts. My thoughts are the problem.

Out of the 28 places we've looked at we applied to and were accepted by 4.

The first house was month-to-month rent, 3br, 1bth, carport, storage unit... it was awesome. Except it was a 20-25min drive with no traffic to work for Quinn and he's had some crazy hours already (being at the pool for swim tests at 3am, etc) and they told him they will change weekly. So we regrettably declined.

The second house seemed too good to be true... 4br, 2bth, carport, storage unit. We found out why... the "living" areas were at opposite ends of the house with the kitchen in the middle. It looked like it was built for two families to share- the kitchen & laundry facilities being in the center of the home. We figured we could work it out so we applied anyway not really thinking we'd be accepted because there were at least 7 other families at the showing. We were wrong- we were accepted and told "we could move in right away, only she morally felt she had to tell us that the home was built over the foundation of the prior home." Okay? "Well the prior home burnt to the ground with a little girl inside." Um.... now I understand why there were so many religious relics in the kitchen at the viewing. Besides that, we decided to turn it down because there were 4 sliding glass doors in the home- and if you know my dad, that's a security issue.

The third home... was still a 3br 2bth, 1 carport parking & one street. There was no air conditioning but we figured we could buy a small portable unit for the bedroom to sleep at night, fans would work in all the other rooms. We applied, were accepted, but after going back learned that the laundry facilities were coin-operated and the attached home had 3 children under the ages of 6 who had taken over the "shared" backyard with their toys and mini-playground equipment. So... we turned it down.

The fourth and final is an apartment, which I never thought I'd live in an apartment complex... but things change. It's 2br, 2bth, 2 parking in a huge garage. There is a storage unit, 2 lanai's (porches), laundry facilities in the unit, a full kitchen (most here don't have dishwashers or microwaves), then a community salt water pool & pavillion with bbqs. The downfalls are no a/c but again we agreed we could simply buy a small portable unit, and carpet. Who wants carpet in Hawaii? Too much sand. Anyway- we applied, we were accepted. Once we asked for the lease agreement to show to the base housing office for approval & the military clause of 30 days to break the lease things started going downhill... she called us every other day saying she's been "discussing it" with the owner. Today she called to tell us she is having another showing this afternoon and we should call her tomorrow to see if it is still available! Excuse me, but I thought we were in negotiations about a lease. Rude.

...As you can see, finding suitable housing hasn't been an easy task. Base housing isn't any more helpful, one of the ladies told me that "I know it isn't an ideal living situation but try for a month-to-month studio, it's only temporary." Well thanks lady, while you're sitting in your comfy house let me squish belongings from a 1000sq/ft townhome into a 400sq/ft studio since it's temporary. We all know 2-5mo on the waiting list is a joke.

It looks like we're back at square one. Unfortunately... I need to look at 4 more places within the budget by Sunday in order not to pay for the last 10 days of hotel fees, and we're running out of homes we haven't seen yet. Ultimately... we're getting kicked out of the hotel June 4th, we need someplace to live.

1 comment:

Dad said...

Continuing to pray that God will provide a home and a good landlord who appreciates our military men and women for you guys. Soon!

love you guys, Dad