Monday, May 23

Recreation Degree + Hawaii =

No Job
*sigh*


You would think that having a Bachelor's degree in Recreation & Tourism would be ideal in the state of Hawaii. You would think. Unfortunately, jobs are hard to come by these days. Especially in this field, once people get in they tend to stay in. You know that silly thing called a career, not what I do... moving around every 2-4yrs.

I've worked in data entry (boring) and as a photographer's assistant (kind of fun), neither of which have anything to do with my degree. I really want to work in my field, I absolutely loved my internship with the MWR, I'd do that job in a heartbeat. Yet, again... nothing available that pays over minimum wage.

Maybe I should just suck it up... however, it really saddens me knowing that I spent 4yrs in college earning a degree and could very well end up with a supervisor who is 20yrs old, earned a GED, & making $10-12/hr while I make $7.25/hr

I keep throwing around the idea of going back to school for a specialist certificate or a 10mo program while Quinn deploys, right now I qualify for $2,000-4,000 for the military spouse career program. The problem is- for what? I loved my degree. I like planning events, outdoor recreation, weddings, party decor, etc. It's not my fault there aren't any jobs available... what else would I like to do? I will go crazy if I sit behind a desk all day =/

Any ideas?

1 comment:

KJY said...

This may not be exactly what you would want to do, but may be a step in the right direction - have you thought of starting your own wedding planning or event planning business? You would need to research local business laws, but you could run it out of your home, have very little start up costs except a business license fee, lawyer drafted contract, etc, and you could set your own schedule. If you have a church you're involved in, that may be a good place to start advertising; otherwise, local hotels may be interested in contracted services from you even if they can't hire you as a regular employee. It would give you more experience in your field and you may just meet some contacts along the way that could hook you up with a dream job. The good thing about your own event planning business is that you could take it with you wherever you move, since it's a service and not a stationary store/building. Just a thought =) Praying for you and Quinn as you transition to a new place and search for a new job. God's got your back =)