Friday, July 1

Wed-Thurs-Fri

Hey everyone just wanted to say thank you for all of your prayers and kind words via e-mail, text, and facebook... I thought I should tell you everything that happened:

Wednesday morning Quinn kissed me goodbye at 4:30am like he does everyday, I told him I loved him and rolled over and went back to sleep. Around 6:30am I woke up with what I thought was intense heartburn- even though it didn't really make sense seeing as I hadn't eaten anything. I took a couple TUMS and went about my day. I even did a small work-out and a trip to the craft store to pick up supplies for a 4th of July wreath. I returned home and the heartburn sensation started again except this time a shooting pain in my back accompanied it. I also felt like my heart was racing for no reason. I sat down on the couch and watched a TV show hoping my body would calm down, instead it got worse. I texted Quinn that I was worried and he told me to go to the ER and he'd be there as soon as possible.

So, I drove myself to ER (the nurses weren't particularly happy about that) and checked myself in with "sharp chest and back pains" I was immediately admitted and taken to a bed where I was connected to the heart rate/blood pressure monitor and then I was hooked up for an EKG. After the EKG,  my blood was taken to be sent to the lab. I was given an IV and the doctors came in to ask multiple questions- ultimately deciding my next trip would be to get chest x-rays. Before the x-rays the chaplain came by and asked how I was doing, when I said "okay" he tried to make me smile by saying "so you always come into ER when you're okay?" He then offered to bring me anything I needed and said he would be roaming around... I was surprised he didn't ask to pray with me, but at the moment I was saying a bazillion prayers in my head.



After the EKG and x-rays came back normal, a CT scan was ordered to make sure I didn't have any blood clots in my chest/lungs. The doctor warned me that the dye they would be administering via the IV would make me think I had pee'd my pants... and boy did it! I seriously thought I had pee'd all over the CT bed! Going in and out of the CT donut was very interesting I was so nervous before we started I was shaking... they gave me a warm blanket thinking I was cold. The voice inside the scanner tells you when to hold your breathe and when you can breathe normally. My eyes were closed pretty much the whole time.

When they wheeled me back into "bed #18's" area Quinn was there sitting on the chair waiting... I was so relieved I started crying. It was so nerve-racking going through all of that alone. They re-connected me to the heart monitor and told me to relax while they waited for the CT Scan results... I was later discharged with no diagnosis other than I may have had a viral infection causing inflammation near my chest within the last 2days-2wks and it was my body trying to heal itself. They couldn't explain my high blood pressure/heart rate, but I wasn't allowed to leave until my heart rate was between 88-90bpm. I was told to take Motrin and schedule a follow-up appt with my base doctor.

That evening sleep came hard... I would sleep for 45min to a hour then get up to use the bathroom (lots of fluids via the IV and I had to drink 3 glasses of water before I went to sleep to get the dye out of my system) and try to fight my way back to sleep despite the pain. Quinn left at 4:30am (Thurs) again to talk to his CO and explain the situation... he got me an emergency appt with my Navy doctor at 10:15am. I thought I would be okay and told him I would drive myself and meet him there. However I threw up my entire breakfast at 9am (I had eaten it at 6:30am) and was so shaky I knew that wouldn't happen, so I called him and he came to pick me up. We had to stop by the hospital and sign a form releasing my ER records so I could give them to my base doctor. Once we arrived at the base waiting room, the nurse was so worried she didn't even let me finish filling out my paperwork, she immediately took my weight, temperature, and blood pressure, then went for the doctor.

The doctor asked all the same questions they did at the ER, then if anything else had been going on... I told her about the stressful housing situation we've been having and the fact I haven't been sleeping through the night. She also asked if I ever had issues with heartburn, I said occasionally I'd take TUMS but not that often. However, I do tend to get hiccups multiple times per week after meals. She then examined my breathing and chest/stomach areas for pain. After she had a lengthy discussion with the head of the family practice and they decided to put me on Nexium which is used to treat serious gastro/reflux problems. I was also told to go to the lab because they couldn't explain my high heart rate and blood pressure. My blood was taken to be tested for thyroid issues that can cause tachycardia.

That night (Thurs) I took a Motrin PM and actually got to sleep in our bed! The bed frame had been delivered and Quinn made it his mission for me to be comfortable that night ...we had been sleeping on our futon  in the guest room for the past month and hadn't slept in our bed since Feb 4th. He also made me use the A/C... I slept from 10:30pm-10:30am only waking occasionally, I assume from noises from the upstairs neighbors.  

Today (Fri) we took it easy for the morning, I managed to eat macaroni and cheese for lunch. We went to see Transformers, after the movie I was a little shaky- figured I really needed food since macaroni and cheese isn't exactly substantial for 2 days of eating nothing. I ate half a Panda Bowl and nibbled on some candied almonds from the cute candy & popcorn stand in the mall. We walked around a bit, until I got really tired. We came home and I immediately fell asleep on the couch for an hour. I took a shower and am now resting on the couch next to Quinn while he plays a game. The bed is calling my name though.


The pains seem to have subsided, I'll get a little chest irritation here or there- but I do think it has something to do with acid reflux... I've been burping and well... um, passing gas all day. I still don't know about my heart rate though. I have a follow-up with my doctor on Tuesday morning, we'll see what she says then. 


Please continue to pray for complete healing and knowledge for the doctors.
Thank you again!

4 comments:

Taylor @ DearOlympia.com said...

Praying for you! Take it easy!

Taylor @ DearOlympia.com said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Dad said...

We are bathing you in prayer as we know we serve a mighty God and He being the Great Physician and Almighty Healer has you in His arms and will provide for you in every way.

Love, Dad

April @ An Urban Acre said...

Hey T, I was out of town, but praying still. Glad to hear you're improving!