Friday, December 14

"Guns don't kill people, people do."


It amazes me that in the midst of so many people grieving there are still those who step on their soapboxes and preach to anyone who will listen about how guns are the downfall of our society...

1st: I cannot fathom losing a child never having one myself. The closest thing I've got is losing a pet- but you don't carry a pet for 9mo, feel it move and grow inside you, listen anxiously for it's heartbeat, or go thru the pain of childbirth. Watch them grow, take their first steps, start school, on & on... No, as much as I loved my dogs and guinea pigs I don't believe the loss of a pet even begins to scratch the surface of motherhood (or fatherhood).

2nd- As I type this I feel safe & secure knowing we have a gun safe with arms for our protection. I know the safety procedures for guns and how to handle and shoot them correctly. When we have kids, we will still have guns. My dad taught my sister and I how to shoot BB guns at a young age. I feel it is important to know the power a weapon has and how to utilize and respect it properly.

3rd: While my heart aches desperately for each victim and those they left behind... I can't help but wonder what evil was done to the shooter(s)? Who didn't love, hug, tell them they were important, special, needed, wanted, made a difference, could change the world, invest in them? Were they abused? Why were they so mentally unstable? Why were they forgotten?

4th: Our nation is completely desensitized. Disagree? Turn on the TV. Listen to mainstream music. Pop in the latest movie. Play the newest video game. Any of these outlets will show you murder, destruction, gang violence, death, grisly battle scenes, and more... I'm not saying these items are at fault, but the things people invest in the most often become the items they reap.

Something needs to be done, but I don't think more rules and regulations on guns is the answer- much like drugs, if someone wants it bad enough they will find a way. My thought process goes to love. Are you involved in those around you? When you ask someone "how are you doing?" please don't be fine with the standard "I'm good, things are ok, etc." INVEST! LOVE! BE A FRIEND! Mostly, if you notice something is "off" approach them or someone they trust... I think the world has lost the true meaning of relationships with this digital age we're living in.

1 comment: