Monday, January 17

And ode to Twix & Beans

After getting the run-around from airlines about flying guinea pigs (I seriously don't understand) then having to worry about driving across country in the dead of winter - read small, manual, sports car in ice & snow - our friends Michelle & Daniel have come to the rescue of our dear boys. They are very excited to have them join their little family. Michelle even came over last week for a "guinea pig crash-course." We went over everything from cutting nails, proper feeding, bathing, to changing cages, and disinfecting water bottles and litter pans. I can tell how much she is already falling in love with them.

Although right now I am having a moment... that moment when you have to give up something you love, something that is yours, something you've invested time into, taught, disciplined, and taken care of.

These are my piggies, my babies. Do I really have to give them away?

I decided to do a little photo collage type of deal...







{Feel free to click on any group of photos to view larger...}


I sure will miss Beans running around the bedroom while I get dressed in the morning and then sitting on the counter while I do my hair & make-up. Twix is our little cuddle-bug... while Beans could last a 30min show on the couch with you, he could go an entire movie! They were there for me all day long when I didn't have a job, and then when I got one they were my buddies until Quinn got home. I especially loved having them around when he was gone for the weekends or had duty. The best part about animals, is they know when things are wrong and they want to fix it. It's so soothing to just hold a piggie when you're upset.

Quinn has promised I can get a new piggie once we get settled into a house in Hawaii... as much as I want one, it seems wrong right now. Twix & Beans are my piggies, with all their quirks and failures. I am also on the fence about another pet for a couple of reasons-
  1. Yes- so I don't have an empty house when Quinn deploys, it's comforting!
  2. No- so I don't have to find a sitter if I go home for a couple weeks-month at a time... although we both agree they are much easier to take care of than a dog!
Another check down in the list of growing up and moving on...

2 comments:

Dad said...

I'm sure God has more animals in your future as God arranges those situations for those who love his creation, His critters.

Love you, Dad

April @ An Urban Acre said...

I completely understand. When we had to give up Lucy and have Ted instead it felt all wrong, even though I knew that's what God wanted. Just take comfort in knowing you're doing what's best for your babies! =)