Disclaimer- This is in no way or form bashing anyone I know... past or present. Just my current take on life after graduating college, getting married, and moving very far from home.
Granted, there are some people who have a best friend that they grew up next door to, went to elementary school, junior high, high school, and chose to attend the same college. There are also "high-school sweethearts," though I don't know many of either people I have just described.
In my experience...
- My first "best friends" (Megan, Billy, Michael, & Steven) were kids from next door/the neighborhood. We moved after kindergarten, and as a kindergartner in the early 1990s there weren't many ways to stay in touch.
- My second best friend (Sarah) was the girl across the street of our new house, unfortunately her mother died sometime around 5th grade. She and her sister moved in with family friends in a different city.
- My 3rd best friend (Sidney) and I were very close during middle school... but towards the end became very interested in different things. Think girly vs. tomboy.
- Finally; my 4th and last best friend, besides my husband, is Ashley. We met in high school, we went through many life changing events together, and ultimately... we chose different universities. 2hrs apart to be exact.
I always found it funny how much drama high school had. I think if I do go to my 10yr high school reunion (I have no idea where I'll be living by then) people will recognize my face, maybe remember my name, but ultimately I stayed out of all that craziness. Probably why I don't have all that many "close" friends from my 3yrs there.
Or how about church youth group... some of those kids were amazing, mostly those from my original church. Not that I didn't enjoy the current family church's group. But man are some two-faced and major hypocrites. I think it's terrible that even in church there are cliques.
Finally college-life. I seriously think it sets you up for a big let-down if you plan on moving away after you graduate. It's not the same... all of your friends don't live 10-20min away, you don't have classes with the same people every day, there aren't activities to fill every waking moment of every day, you can't just send out a mass text and end up playing a game of ultimate frisbee with 30ppl 2hrs later. It's not real life. It's sad, but true. I LOVED MY CHI ALPHA FAMILY, but that was in college... I still love the people, what I learned about myself through participating in all of the events/activities, growing closer to God in a great community. But where are they now? The majority- in Arizona. How often do I hear from any of them ? Well...
Some things I've learned from moving for my internship and then here after my wedding...
- People are placed in your life for each stage.
- As much as you want to keep everyone, you can't.
- You have to learn to say goodbye for real, sometimes "see you later's" aren't true.
- Love the people around you, you never know how long you have with them.
"Love God. Love People."
Even if you don't have a "best friend" find true & honest friends where ever you are... they will keep you accountable, tell you what's what, and love you for the time being. =)
My time here in Maryland is quickly coming to an end... most of my friends here will probably end up fading away just like high school/college. But it doesn't mean I didn't love them enough, it's just how life goes.
1 comment:
I really liked this post Taylor!
Gosh, we meet so many different people in our lives and it's so hard to stay in touch nowadays.
One thing I have learned from moving all around is that you know someone's a best friend when you chat like you've just seen each other yesterday even though you may live on the other side of the world and only get to correspond every now and then. I feel very blessed to have just a handful of those besties :)
Post a Comment