Thursday, June 3

Day-trip to Philadelphia, PA!

This past weekend Quinn had Friday (5.28.10) off for Memorial Day Weekend. So he, Aaron, and I headed up to Philly! I didn't know it was so close, only a 2hr drive. It was a great day, we got to see some amazing history... check it out:

The only picture we could take at the mint, no photography allowed inside (or knives! Fortunately the guard was a former Marine, and he held Aaron's for us while we toured. We walked back to the car and dropped it off for the rest of the day). While we were there we got to see pennies and quarters being stamped! They can produce 1 million pennies in 30min! Crazy.


Who would have though the US Mint would have their own police department. I guess it does make cents... (sense... hehe, okay okay, bad joke!)

Old firehouse transformed into a museum.

Actual pieces of a FDNY truck and hose, as well as debris from 9/11

Amazing stained glass window, the firefighter's on the bottom were actually 3D! The quote underneath says: "The coward dies a thousand deaths, the valiant die but one." Powerful.

I got my own parade belt!

The Liberty Bell! So cool to see a piece of history like this.

Independence Hall - We took a tour. The Declaration of Independence and US Constitution were drafted, eventually signed, and read aloud to the public here! So crazy!


The Benjamin Franklin House


Perfectly manicured garden...

The Marine Corps Memorial Statue at the Military Hall Museum. The quote on it says: "Their duty done - the valiant rest."

Of course we had to go to the post!

Can't go to Philly and not eat a Cheesesteak!

So, yeah... I hung with Spiderman! (crazy cool comic book store downtown)

End of the day, right before we headed home... didn't have time for the building behind us (National Constitution Center).

1 comment:

KJY said...

I didn't know you guys lived so close to Philly! Jon's relatives all live around the Philly area - we are actually planning to go out for a visit next summer. If you guys are still living out there maybe we can meet up! I know it's like a year away lol, but that's so cool to know you aren't too far from there.