Now that I'm back in Hawaii... I needed to write this all down.
It's a new year. It's our first deployment. I live in a new state.
It's time for some changes!
My thoughts- positivity is going to be key during this deployment, but also in general...why be negative, right? Working on my mental will power and relying on God to release me from the stronghold anxiety seems to have on me. Positive thinking, prayers, daily time spent in the Bible, and attending Bible studies will be key (I am potentially starting one for women whose husbands are deployed as well).
My wardrobe- I want to be more "flowy," comfortable, sophisticated, grown-up, feminine, not be afraid of what other people think (I honestly have clothes from my sophomore year of high school still... I graduated high school in 2005...). I just don't want to look like a college bum anymore...
My make-up/skin care- this goes along with the wardrobe, I'd like to actually learn how to wear make-up "correctly" and what shades of color look best with my skin/eyes. I probably need to buy some new products, I realized how long I've had some of my eye shadows, kind of scary. I also don't know how to apply liquid eyeliner or eye shadow primer. I use face washes, but I should probably be using some type of cleanser/toner as well, right? {this got jump-started with the Mary Kay party}
My hair- I want to chop it off. It terrifies me, but I'm planning on donating it to "locks of love" or "beautiful lengths" My hair will grow back, the child or woman who gets a wig made out of my hair needs it more than I do.
These two are cute, and don't require shaving my neck.
I really love Emma Watson's new haircut... but it is SO short, I don't know if I could pull it off?
My fitness- I want to complete at least one 5k during this deployment. I would like the money to go to the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society in honor of my dad... but if I can't find a run for it, any type of cancer research, military, or children's charity will do. I can successfully jog 1.5mi without stopping to walk (as of Dec. 14th), so I'm hoping I can keep upping the mileage. Any SLOW joggers want to join me? And, I mean slow... I really despise running, I just do it because I know it's good for me. I am also hoping to do yoga/pilates and get some gym time in... although having a SUP or snorkeling partner would be much more fun =P
My photography- In Maryland I took family photos, 6wk newborn photos, and maternity photos for friends. All for free. Since being in Hawaii I took photos at my cousin's wedding, 1yr photos of a friend's daughter, "aloha" photos for a family leaving the island, and two different "mommy & me" sessions. I'm not really looking to do it professionally, I feel as if it that would be completely wrong in the fact that I have no training and no schooling in it. Almost undermining those with degrees/proper schooling. I do plan on taking a few online courses (maybe some in-person at the local community college) while Quinn is gone. I love capturing memories, especially for military families since separations take place so often!
Travel- I really want to explore this magnificent island we're living on! Hikes, surfing spots, snorkeling locations, blow-holes, local eateries, this place is beautiful and my time here is limited... so I better get to it!
De-clutter- I have moved three times in three years, that really helps keeping the clutter down. But, I look around my house constantly thinking "only two people live here, how do we have this much stuff?!" I plan to devote 1 week to each room in the house (combining the laundry room/storage closet) to properly de-clutter. I will have three "piles" 1-sell. 2-donate. 3-trash/recycle. Along with this I want to organize neatly and "effectively" so to speak. Whenever there are children in the house it seems like items migrate upwards, so I figure why not get things off the lower tables/bookcases and up onto the walls themselves. I think a "gallery wall" would be a perfect do-able solution (mounting the TV up there will have to wait a bit).
Guinea pig- I miss having pets, the house is quiet during the day. I would love a dog, but I want a BIG dog... not so great without a yard. So, if I get another pet it would have to be a guinea pig again. Quinn and I discussed it and decided they are easier to find pet sitters for anyway since they can be transported. So I will start assembling an "epic" play pen, get a "bedroom" all put together, then begin the search... I haven't decided if it will be an adoption yet, unless I adopt a baby. I really want this to have this one completely potty trained. How cool would that be?! *still debating- esp. if we plan on some major travel before kids*
Money- I'm not going to stress about money, I do that enough already. Instead I want to be more conscience about where it goes. Our cell phones cost a lot, however they are our only phones... there's no way getting around that cost. I am seriously debating down-grading to regular cable. Quinn works a lot, I barely watch TV except for NCIS, NCIS:LA, and Hawaii Five-0, and we have netflix. If we wanted, we could get hulu instead of cable. Groceries=necessary evil. Food costs way too much on this island! I will be scouring for coupons, utilizing our Costco membership, and hunting at the farmer's markets for the best deal on produce. We have two cars, which is great when Quinn is here, kinda interesting now... but I will be making sure to ride my bicycle as often as possible to save on gas money!
Mosaics (& maybe windows?)- It always amazes me what I have the capability of creating... if I actually sit down and DO IT. I plan to make more time for doing "crafts." I've lived in Hawaii for 9mo (whoa) and have only made one candle holder and one framed piece. How sad is that? It is good for me to have projects to work on, to take something old and make it new, to create things that others enjoy and potentially purchase.
\
If any of you would like to help me out with any of the above, have
ideas, tips, things you've done that have worked for you...
please comment below! Thanks so much.















1 comment:
Hey, I love this post! probably because its free of the whole "I just want to be a better person" resolution :)
Hair: you would look GREAT with it short!!! do it!!!!
Makeup: When you go by makeup from a counter (spendy I know, but its how I treat myself!) ask them to teach you how to apply it. Thats how I learned.
My fav products:
Mascara: Bare Minerals
eyeliner: revlon/cover girl liquid eyeliner
foundation: MAC's mineral liquid foundation
eyeshadow: I have a favorite that I wear almost every day and after a year its still only half gone - bareminerals (they can help you choose a color best for you)
blush: MAC
The blush and eyeshadow will last you ages (like 2 years), the mascara and foundation I have to buy about every four months (but I wear it everyday at work) and the eyeliner lasts about 8 months.
Its a simple set but I love feeling 'fresh' and it just brings out my natural beauty not the fake stuff!!
colors: When I turned 20 my mum took me out and had my 'colors' done. The stylist gave me a bunch of little pieces of fabric sewn together in my 'colors'. I am a summer so I look good in colors that have a cool (blue) base to them that are muted (so pastels that are winter toned). Its helped me immensly decide which clothes to buy! She also gave me a booklet on styles that fit me best - jean style, sweater/blazer style etc. I don't know if you could find this on Hawaii but it was a great investment. I also have slowly tried to build my closet with a more feminine/classy casual style. What helps : when you go shopping, by an entire outfit. Choose the accessories and even shoes together. If you do this once every three months (like when you hit a good sale) you slowly build a closet of outfits, instead a bunch of cute tops/pants that aren't really completed. Like you did in the pictures you posted, find complete outfits! otherwise if you find one thing you really like, bring that with you when you next go shopping to build an outfit around it. I do that when I shop at expensive stores like Anthropolige. Obviously on one-income I can't afford to buy all my accessories at Anthro. So I will bring the top or sweater I buy to a sale at Loft or something. Loft by the way has a lot of the style you posted above. Affordable (they have sales ALL the time) and very chic but casual.
Post a Comment