Thursday, September 29

Listening to God

I had this bag of rocks with inspirational words etched into them, such as: dream, faith, love, etc sitting on the table of "I don't know what to do with these things, there's not place for them in this house, I don't need this stuff cluttering my life." Every time I went to put the bag of rocks into the sell/donate pile I felt a strong urge not to do so. I ended up praying figuring there was a reason for such a strong urge over a bag of rocks. God told me to take them to my Women's group... the 1st week I just plain forgot. The 2nd week... I kept thinking to myself- "how am I going to explain this, they will all think I'm weird toting in a bag of rocks to Bible study."
I love seeing this window every morning as I enter the kitchen.

So, finally the 3rd week (2wks ago)... I sucked it up, put the bag of rocks in my tote with my books and headed to group. God provided the leeway... and I took it an ran with it! I gave each lady there a rock and the reason for the word etched into it. There were smiles, tears, and many thanks. The rocks remaining were inspire and faith... they told me to take inspire because I had been such an inspiration to all of them, and faith we decided to leave at the house we meet at for a "group rock." So why is this important (other than me getting over my fear of stepping out in faith)... read this article or this one.

That rock, the one she hit the man in the head with... was the one I gave her. The word etched on it "HOPE." As she left for work she was rummaging through her purse for her phone and ran across the rock, she had a strange feeling that she needed to hold it on her walk home. She said right before the attack happened she was running her fingers over the rock examining the small dents/cracks and reflecting on what it meant to have hope.

I praise God that he told me what to do and even after faltering I listened. I am so happy that my friend is alive and well, I can't even begin to imagine what she would have gone through had that man gotten her into his car. Plus, her two little kids need their mommy!

2 comments:

April @ An Urban Acre said...

Wow, how powerful!! I LOVED this story. =) What a sovereign and good God we have!!

Dad said...

God is good! I know God prompts me frequently to do or say things to people I don't know and I've always been comfortable with the end result seeing the blessings that come out of it and glorifying Gods Kingdom. Its all about Him, not me.

Love ya, Dad